Tuesday, October 19, 2010 | By: ovnica

Grade in classroom is outdated !!!

www.edutopia.org
When I was in elementary school my teacher always make a rank in classroom. The group in the first rank up to ten mean they are smart, and the first rank is the smartest student. Is it still happen until now in Indonesia?
If yes, it's mean the system is outdated.

 I said that because the intelligences can not measure by a rank. Rank is a the smallest part of measuring intelligences and it just see one aspect of students intelligences. Whereas the intelligences every students are different. Students who doesn't get the highest rank doesn't mean she/ he is stupid. I have to highlight that every students are smart but they have some differences category in intelligences. Howard Gardner divided intelligences into eight categories. There are; verbal linguistics, logical mathematics, visual-spatial, musical, intrapersonal, interpersonal, bodily kinesthetic, and naturalist intelligences.
Let's take a look this video to make you realized about multiple intelligences.

I already said that every student is smart and student could be have two or more intelligences. The teacher's job is how to deliver the lesson for those intelligences? It's is hard and complex but nothing is impossible. Based on Gardner theory teacher can not judge student stupid or not, but teacher have to observe the intelligences of students and make it better or help them to find other intelligences. It's more useful than a judgment.

Video sources: www.youtube.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ov..
I extremely agree with your post about multiple intelligence..^0^
Good job !!
Ehe..

Actually when I was in junior high school I believed that a smart student is someone who can get the highest rank in the class.. and I struggle to get it. I never thought that every people has different M.I,, but after I study in SSE I realized about it.

So, its means that you forbid the rank system in Indonesia?
If yes, how can teacher assess their students?

Anonymous said...

just share,
yah, Indonesia education still uses ranking for students assessment,for instance, like we can see in UAN system. As we know it is the controversy problem that being discussed by the government. And we as the students do not have authority of it. just always pray the best for our education!! ^_^

But the pray above doesn't mean that we are hopeless. I ever think that how when we create the vocational system for our education, so every students will enter to the department in the field of they master. isn't it solution?? hehe

ovnica said...

I think your suggestion is good Dyah. Indonesia has many subjects in every level, if we concern with students interest and they become a master in that. I think it much better.

ovnica said...

Dear My Deer (Rita)

If I am not mistaken assessment is "sit beside" means that you (teacher) sit and always there if wherever your students need your help.
to know whether our students make some progress or not we can do on going assessment or make a journal or do a project or create a new product that relate with the topic.
actually, if we want to dig deeper assessment not only paper pencil test or provide multiple choice for our student and after that they got score and our (teacher) job is make a rank based on that. that's why i said rank is outdated. if we always consider one aspect than you are failed to develop and raised your students capability.

again, more strategies to assess our students :)

Post a Comment